Monday, December 3, 2012

Blog 20

1. What are the strengths your writing for the introduction? What do you need to add as you continue to write your essay?
What are the strengths of your writing for the review of the literature? What will you need to continue to work on?


   The things are working in my introduction is that I think I identify clearly my research question and topic. I've gathered a good portion of my data, so I have a strong idea of what exactly I will be presenting in my paper.
   Looking back at my first attempt at the introduction and literature review, I realized that the main thing I'm missing is explaining why my research topic and data matter. Looking at the example in class was very helpful. I need to include the definition of my terms and give a strong step by step of what I'm going to be discussing inn my essay.
   My literature review needs to be done over, since I only cited my resources. I need to discuss exactly what the authors of those books have to say about my topic, and also give information on why I chose my references and discuss their credentials/contributions. Most importantly, I need to set up my focus.   

2. What is the research problem identified in your introduction? How do you point out what your research project will contribute toward resolving this "problem"? In other words, what have you written about the importance of your project for writing studies?

      My question is why the blame for our failing education system has been placed on teachers in public discourse and what are the factors outside the classroom that impact a student's success in school. However, I fail to point out why my data matters in helping resolve this issue. This is one of the things I need to incorporate.

3. What have other researchers found out about your topic that is relevant to your research project?

       In one of the books, Education Reform and Social Change: Multicultural Voices, Struggles, and Visions the author talks about variuos students she has talked to over the years that were struggling in school. The main pattern she found in all of them was that they all had issues at home. So even though, in some instances, the teachers would reach out, the students would continue to struggle as these issues at home were still present. My other book discusses how socioeconomic factors significantly shape how a student does academically.

4. How do you connect findings from question 3 to the purpose of your project?
    
        These findings help prove the flawed arguement behind solely blaming teachers for the success or failure of a student. They prove that other factors impact how a student does in school, no matter how amazing or incompetent the teacher may be. Teachers, of course, are crucial in what a student learns, and their roles are very important, but they are not the whole picture.

5. What is your plan for finishing/revising your introduction and literature review?

      I'm going to revise my intro and my literature review by comparing what I already have to the sample presented in class, and then adding the information I need accordingly.

  6. What feedback do you want from me?

        As I've gathered my information, along with the great examples you've presented in class as to how you want everything written and presented, I don't really think I need much feedback at the moment. Thus far I feel clear as to how I need to do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment