Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Writing For Cyberspace: 1st Draft Techno-literacy Narrative



         Growing up, writing and reading were always things I did for myself. Aside from reading and writing for school, these were things I enjoyed doing and saw them as a hobby. These seeds were planted from very early on in my life. My father was a knowledge-hungry person and instilled in my sisters and me the importance of an education. I grew up hanging out in the children’s book room in my public library. My fondest early reading experiences were born there, in that colorful, circular book room. I always felt so happy and a peace reading book after book after book, hours on end, lying in the empty tub whimsically placed in the center of the children’s room. Reading was a very personal activity for me, as well as writing when I started my diary at the age of about ten. However, as I have gotten older, I have explored the option of writing for others. I feel as though I have grown up alongside the internet. As the years passed, the internet became and more of a place where people exchanged ideas.
            “Yes! We’re going to the library!” Looking back, I spent so much time in that empty tub with my nose stuck in a book. I also looked forward to making new friends, because I always met someone new in the children’s room. I remember reading and playing simultaneously, if that makes any sense. So, reading and spending time in the library was social as well as personal. My father would take us over the weekends mostly, because he thought it was a much better use of our time than just sitting in front of the TV, “making holes in the couch”, as he would put it. This made sense to me, considering that reading was something I would observe my father doing a lot of at home. Sometimes after work, he would sit in the dining room after we finished dinner, reading the newspaper or pages of the encyclopedia. I remember once when my father taught himself how to change the engine oil in his car by simply reading through a mechanic manual. These were some of the examples I observed early on that communicated to me the power of knowledge, and how reading could be a powerful tool to that end.
            As far as writing, my grade school teachers help build a lot of confidence in my skills. Every year, I would always hear from my teachers how great a job I did on the writing projects. From writing reading responses and poems, to learning formal essay structure in the fifth grade, writing was something that seemed to come natural to me. The enthusiasm was fueled by the positive feedback and grades I received from my teachers. Can you believe I actually looked forward to spelling and grammar tests?! Growing up, I didn’t feel comfortable with my peers reading my writing, despite the positive feedback of my teachers. I started a diary around the age of ten, writing inside it on and off. I wrote when I felt happy, sad, or confused. Writing was something that helped organize my most intimate thoughts, and gave me a space to talk about things I felt that I just could not tell a soul.
It was when I was introduced to the formal essay structure in the fifth grade that I really started to dabble with using the computer as a means to present my writing, and I was using the internet just to play games. It never occurred to me that you could use the internet to share your work for others to see. I was aware of the communicative power of the internet, like chat rooms, and sometimes used instant messaging to talk to friends. Buddy lists was all anyone would talk about in middle school.  
          My freshman year of high school, MySpace seemed to come kind out of nowhere. It was like, I just came to school one day and all of a sudden everyone had a MySpace page. “Do you have a MySpace?” my friends asked. I said no, and everyone was explaining to me why I should. I remember my best friend at the time didn’t have a MySpace either, so I guess that is why I never really caved into the pressure, along with fact that it just didn’t interest me. Then I began to see many of my peers utilizing MySpace as a tool to say heinous things about people they were not comfortable saying face to face. So this deterred me further from social networking, but I think it also blocked me from seeing the other useful aspects it, and exploring other online avenues to communicating and sharing your work, such as blogs.
           I didn’t dabble with this until after high-school. As I went further in in my collegiate studies, there was an increasing emphasis on writing for an audience, and how the internet is a useful tool for this. I wasn’t until a couple of semesters ago, when I started taking my English writing classes, that I have fully explored writing for others. As I said before, writing was something I did for myself. Taking creative writing classes, I realized the importance of work shopping, and how showing your work to others can be very helpful. This is where the internet comes in. I realized that people become very opinionated online. If you want to be a great writer, you have to tie the attitudes and beliefs of your audience to your own in order to truly be effective. This is how the internet has influenced my perception of reading and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment